Half a Cup of Blues

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Jesus blew me kisses ...

I had this all typed out yesterday evening when the breaker overloaded (it was 93° and we had 3 coolers going) and I just did not have the energy to do it all over again so today you get the condensed version:

Quick update: The young man who had a difficult day last week is back in class and doing well. His blood sugar had been through the roof so they increased his medication and we'll help him monitor his food intake.

The Jesus Girl: I have a young lady that came to us from the streets. Literally. She's 16 years old and has been out of school (a runaway) for over 3 years. She was, finally, found by the police with a group of men in their 50's who had been "sharing" her. She is diagnosed as psychotic with delusional features and what this translates to in her particular case is that she believes she is pregnant. Not only that but Jesus is her boyfriend AND her baby, too. I really can't imagine what she's had to go through or what it took to survive but here she is. She's had about 10 sonagrams and 2 ultrasounds because she's gained about 30 pounds in the last 3 months (all in her belly!). It took the courts over 2 months to approve the medications that the psychiatrist prescribed for her and what a rollercoaster ride that time was!

So, here she is today, this lovely, broken, young woman. She tells me that she's bad and not worth loving. She doesn't yet know just wrong that is. She's been addicted to just about every street drug that was available to her so that her withdrawl hasn't been a cakewalk either.

She was blowing me kisses yesterday. She always does that from across the room but this was different, a deluge of loud smooches every few seconds. Most of the other kids had gone to vocational classes so there were just a few of us left in the room. Imagine my surprise when I ask her why there are so many kisses today and she tells me that she doesn't know why, it's not her blowing kisses! Hmmmm....

"Jesus must like you or something. He's blowing you kisses."

Ya don't say?! Not being sure how to respond to that, I think something incredibly insightful and articulate came out of my mouth, like, "Oh!"

About an hour later I hear some more smooches floating across the room and I look up and just had to ask her who, exactly, was blowing me kisses right now. With the sweetest smile she says, "I am."

It's not that I don't want kisses from Jesus but just knowing that she's here, in the moment, is enough for me.


Today's Plan: Capture the moments and not let them slip by unnoticed.

3 Comments:

  • i have found that those society has decided are not "normal" often teach me the most valuable lessons.

    By Blogger meelo, at 5/25/2005 9:08 PM  

  • I admire your strength.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/25/2005 9:46 PM  

  • You know how I feel about the work you do and the challenges you face. I've always been impressed by your outlook and demeanor. But it is so nice to see you experience something special like this. That really was a very sweet moment.

    By Blogger Yibbyl, at 5/26/2005 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home