Half a Cup of Blues

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Booked for the weekend ...

So I've been tagged by Alison .

(1) Number of books I own: OMG - way too many!

I have about 300 upstairs in the house and the wall of books from the old house is in boxes downstairs. I guess that to be around 300-400 maybe. I've also taken about 200 books into my classroom and donated them to the school.I really like Allan's idea about downsizing, though, and using the local library more. I also have a group of friends at work that we all just pass books along and share them which gives us a whole lot of different conversation topics to get into in the break room!

(2) Last book bought: The Princess Bride by William Goldman

(3) Last book I read: Blood Work by Michael Connelly


(4) Five books that mean a lot to me:

* Courage to Heal
* Reviving Ophelia
* Lord of the Flies
* I Heard the Owl Call My Name
* To Kill a Mockingbird

(5) Looking forward to reading: (I added this one!)
* The online books of J.A. Kowing

As for tagging someone: Jason and Yibbyl.
(I don't think very many other people come here anymore)


Today's Plan: Find where I put The Princess Bride so that I can read it while camping this weekend.

2 Comments:

  • Hi there, Jen's sister!

    I have read Lord of the Flies by myself and with the class. It is so very powerful.

    I know that most high school classes would assign the reading for home and then do the discussion in class but with my special ed kids we do all of the reading aloud and talk about it as we go. It was the very first novel that I kicked off the 2004-2005 year with and it hooked the kids immediately. A lot of SED kids like to talk about anarchy but when you bring it home, up close and personal, it makes them examine their beliefs and it just does not get any better than that.

    Okay. That got me going. You can't tell that I love doing what I do, can you? *lol*

    By Blogger Michelle, at 6/22/2005 5:32 PM  

  • We read Lord of the Flies in class with the a student assigned to each character, reading that character's words outloud. (The same student read the same character for the entire book.) The teacher read whatever wasn't in quotations. Made for a very powerful reading. When Piggy dies it was very real, especially to the student reading Piggy. I've wondered since at the wisdom of doing it that way. I would hate to see someone needing years of therapy to get over an experience in English class, on the other hand it really made the book come alive.

    By Blogger edieraye, at 6/22/2005 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home