Half a Cup of Blues

Monday, June 13, 2005

Under a Neon Moon ...

The car saga continues...

I drive a Plymouth Neon. These are basically your modern day disposable cars from what everyone says. I can't really complain because it has been inexpensive and gotten me where I need to be for last few years and it gets over 30 mpg.

It's been having a run of bad luck lately. Okay, to be a little more honest, it hasn't had the most dilligent upkeep that a car can have. At least not this last year anyway. So, maybe it has been feeling neglected and is getting attention the only ways it can: by breaking down - out of town!

Seriously, the darned thing keeps breaking down while I'm out on the road somewhere and not at home! Weekend before this last one I had to buy 2 new tires while in Nevada. This last Friday it was sputtering and being difficult while I was visiting my friend so I took in and had an oil change and new air and fuel filters installed. I thought it was a happy car after that. I was wrong.

It still sputtered and and didn't want to go where I wanted to go so we had a little talk on Sunday. After new plugs and wires I thought we had come to an aggreement. Again, I was wrong. Stubborn little Neon was not gonna budge.

According to the man at the parts store this is a classic case of a bad catalytic converter. I have no real clue what that is or what it does but it sounds important (and expensive). So the little Neon hitched a ride home and piggy backed a nice yellow tow truck while I visited with the driver, J. D., who was just as cute as could be (and half my age!).

You'd think the weekend was a wash, wouldn't you? But, no, it was still a lot of fun. I didn't worry too much about the car (even when I thought it might be a blown trasnmission or engine) because worrying doesn't change anything. It is what it is, right Jen? I still enjoyed the awesome company of my friend. I was driven everywhere since I was car(e)less. I got some pool time in and I think I even toasted the tops of my, well, nevermind!

Oh, and I had a Bloody Mary on Sunday morning that would knock your socks off! YUMMY! And that's saying something from someone who does not like tomato juice. You spice that puppy up enough and add some "special" ingredients and you've got a winner!

All in all, I really cannot complain. The Neon will be down this week while I track down parts and get them to my mechanic but I can drive the Explorer so I'm not stranded. I have three days off and the first two days back to school for summer session are both field trips that were arranged way ahead of time. So, even with the 4 new kids that I'm getting on Thursday, I think we'll be okay. We'll start with some fun stuff and go from there.

Fun isn't really something that happens to you by accident. It's what you make it. It comes from a place within you that refuses to let life beat you down or hold you hostage. It is in your outlook and how you handle the curveballs. You can duck & roll, and come up laughing or you can walk away mad.

I have been working hard on just relaxing and letting things be what they are without any interference and that works for me. I've seen people try to manipulate events, words, and even other people, and it just doesn't work most of the time, in my humble opinion. It, especally, doesn't work when it is done with selfish motives. I know that I don't like feeling manipulated and I don't think that other people do either.

Hey, wait a minute, I was talking about fun! I must have been side-tracked there for a minute! I really hope that everyone who reads this finds their fun and shares it with those around them who touch their lives, too. What do ya say? Group hug?

Today's Plan: Relax, do what needs doing, and have some fun along the way.

3 Comments:

  • I am glad you had a wonderful weekend despite all obsticles. You have the right attititude. Keep the spirit alive. Good Luck with new kids.

    Melanie

    By Blogger Mermaid Melanie, at 6/13/2005 6:10 AM  

  • You have an amazingly good attitude! I think I would have cussed that little Neon out! Anyway, I suggest you sell that car and use the funds to buy lottery tickets. After you win the lottery, then you can hire a chauffeur...maybe even J.D. would like that job!

    "Toasted tops"? Hmmm, the immagination runs wild... *g*

    Hope you enjoy your time off!

    By Blogger Yibbyl, at 6/13/2005 6:29 AM  

  • Thanks Doll...for your comments.
    When I see what Ma does all day,I have only the utmost respect for you guys.Moms that is.I hope you get some kinda rest this summer.And I hope you get the car fixed too.
    *** Thanks Doll***

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/13/2005 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home