Half a Cup of Blues

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Comfort Foods ...

I love the smell of (good) food cooking.

We headed out to the local farmer's market this morning so that I could pick up 5 large bunches of basil. Fresh pesto is nothing short of divine. While we were there I also grabbed a few bundles of Chinese Long Beans (also known as yardlongs) and they are now simmering in a large pot with some smoked bacon. A little bit later I'll be slicing some sweet, white onions to put into a roasting pan with red potatoes, and then when everything else is nearly done we'll be grilling some seasoned pork steaks on the bbq (my tried and true seasoning is onion powder, garlic powder, and fresh black pepper).

As I was getting the beans ready earlier today I was reminded of how comforting some foods can be. Fresh green beans has always been a very southern, homey, feel-good food for me. I also love real mashed potatoes with white country gravy (made from fried chicken drippings), and cheese toast (buttered sourdough slices covered with garlic and cheddar cheese and broiled until bubbly and nearly brown on top).

The one comfort food that I really do realy on on a regular basis is not a food at all. It is, as Edieraye pointed out in a comment, hot tea. I love a cup of hot tea when I'm stressed, when I'm feeling a cold coming on, or for no other reason that just because! My favorite tea to sip is a Stash brand - Mango Passionfruit with nothing in it. It tastes like a mellow, sweet, almost honeyed tea so it needs nothing added to it. I think that I'll make a cup now!

Thanks, Edieraye, for reminding me!
What are your favorite comfort foods?

7 Comments:

  • *lol*ALL food makes me comfortable!So much so I eat and go right to sleep!NOT a good thing for sure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/29/2005 4:24 PM  

  • It depends what I'm seeking comfort from.

    When I'm just feeling blechy (didn't you know that's a real word?), it's a grilled cheese sandwich and creamy tomato soup.

    By Blogger newwavegurly, at 10/29/2005 8:38 PM  

  • I like hot tea too. especially fruity teas (strawberry is my favourite).

    I like chocolate to keep my sanity in check sometimes. Especially if it is cakey and gooey and filled with ribbons of fudge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2005 9:17 AM  

  • I have some really disgusting things on my comfort list! I'm actually pretty spoiled when it comes to good food so when I want something different, something special, something just for me, I head back to my childhood. Cottage cheese with sugar on top. (I know, I know, but it is how my mom taught me to eat it. Blame it on her.) Cream tuna on toast. (Looks awful, smells worse, but tastes divine.) And last but certainly not least, fried pasta.

    And I promise if you come visit I won't cook any of them for you!

    By Blogger edieraye, at 10/30/2005 3:52 PM  

  • Happy All Hollows Eve!!

    Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!!! :)

    By Blogger phoenix, at 10/31/2005 5:03 PM  

  • I've never met a feed that wasn't comforting on one level or another.

    Well, maybe peas.

    By Blogger Allan, at 11/10/2005 6:32 AM  

  • I'm a big tea fan, myself. LOVE me some chammomile, lemon chammomile in particular. There's a certain sense of ease that I find in a good cup of hot tea.

    Haven't seen you around lately, miss you! I'm trying to get caught up on my blog reading too. xo

    By Blogger laprincessa, at 11/14/2005 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home