Half a Cup of Blues

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Gluttony was King ...

King Crab, that is!

So we went out to dinner last night, just Yibbyl and I. Every now and then it is important to have some time just to ourselves and the Goobers understand that. Well, they actually like it especially when we let them have run of the computer while we are gone!

We had decided to go to Red Lobster 'cuz I was having a hankering for some decadently rich seafood. The menu was placed before us and it took us ages to decide what we were having. We wanted it all! We finally decided on an appetizer sampler of crab stuffed mushrooms, clam strips, and scallops wrapped in bacon and broiled. It was divine! Oh, and the cheesy garlic biscuits! Anyone who has ever been to the place knows that they are famous for the melt-in-your-mouth biscuits. We each ate two of those, too. Then our salads come. We're already starting to feel a little apprehensive about the sheer volume of food that we ordered but we dig in anyways, after all, vegetables are good for us!

Did I mention the drinks that we had? We each got a fruit smoothie. Mine was strawberry and his was orange (with a lovely hint of coconut in it) and OMG were they awesome. We forced ourselves to pace those drinks and make them last. And that was quite a challenge since we each kept sampling the other one's glass, too! I'll be looking for recipes for these in the very near future!

Meanwhile back to the food. We are kind of knowing that we are in big trouble and not going to be able to eat all of this food when I see the server coming with our tray and I whisper to Yibbyl, "You should see your plate." As soon as she gets to our table and he sees his he blurts out, "Good gawd!" It was a HUGE platter of crab alfredo. I mean really huge. It could have fed a small family. I had ordered a combination plate that included shrimp pasta and stuffed sole and we had added the other dish that he'd wanted (a mini-platter of scallops, schrimp, and crab covered in butter sauce and jack cheese) to my order. I slid that mini-platter off of my plate and over to him as his eyes were about ready to pop out!

Okay, we absolutely know at this point that there is NO way we're going to be able to eat all of this (though we did give it a heck of a good try!) so we pace ourselves and prioritize. I eat half of the sole and all of the stuffing. I also eat about a third of the pasta and pick the rest of the shrimp out then I'm done! Yibbyl eats maybe a tiny fraction of his platter of crab alfredo 'cuz we figure that it will keep better than the other stuff so he finishes off his scallops and shrimp and maybe a fourth of his smother crab stuffing then he's done. We get a box for the rest of his dinner.

We had planned on snagging a piece of key lime pie to bring home but that was completely out of the question by the time we were done. We wanted nothing more to do with anything food related no matter how good that it sounded. In fact, we had planned on going shopping after dinner but those plans were changed so that we could just come back home and peel our pants off!

Yes, we were gluttons but we were divinely sated ones when all was said and done.

Today's Plan: Eat light!

3 Comments:

  • Belch!

    OK, so you had to post this as I'm feeling guilty about the people who are lacking food in Africa?!?

    (It was delicious, though!)

    By Blogger Yibbyl, at 1/15/2006 11:28 AM  

  • Arrrgggghhhhh....

    I don't do New Year's Resolutions but I did tell the kids in the classroom that I've just got to lose the added pounds that I put on since I've been cooking so much and eating out. I just read Anica's Blog and she reminds me that I have GOT to simply start making it more important!

    Thank you, Anica!! {{{HUG}}}

    By Blogger Michelle, at 1/15/2006 2:10 PM  

  • i was with my family this week. They overeat at every meal... its rough.

    I am going to be so glad to be back on salad, and protien. my stomach sure needs it.

    thanks for the share though. I do like Red Lobster. and those biscuits are wonderful.

    By Blogger Mermaid Melanie, at 1/15/2006 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home