Half a Cup of Blues

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

She's Safe...

I cannot tell you how relieved I am!

She was picked up by the police department in Santa Rosa.

Her "bed" has already been filled at the group home so I have no clue if they will allow her to take the next opening that comes or if they will just place her somewhere else.

On the flip side - bad news.

The young man who has struggled with his violent outbursts and aggression towards women was told yesterday that his placement here was closing after an altercation that he had with two male staff in his group home last week. Our Executive Director has said that his situation was "iatrogenic" in that our staff contributed to the escalation and that makes us, as a company, also partly responsible for his behavior. This boy will be interviewed by some placement here in the northstate this afternoon. I advocated that his school placement be kept here if the new place accepted him and was close enough to make it work. I wasn't told "No" but there are no guarantees so we may be saying goodbye to him this week. *sigh*

What a week of ups and downs and it is still ONLY Tuesday!

Today's Plan: Expect the best and deal with the rest...

3 Comments:

  • Even though, I've done the hitch-hiking thing in the distant past, it really amazes me that a youngster, especially a girl, can survive on the road in this era. Thank goodness & the FSM that she is alright!

    The protective part of me isn't sad to see the young man go, but I do realize he stands a better chance of turning his life around with the help of those who know him. I'll just hope for the best. For everyone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 9:07 PM  

  • Thank God she's safe! I'm still sorry to hear about your other student, though. :(

    By Blogger An Urban Femme, at 3/08/2006 3:53 PM  

  • What Steph said, Michelle - what a relief that must be for you!

    You've told me about kids like the second one before; much as you and the rest of the staff try, you can't save them all.

    *hugs*

    By Blogger David, at 3/08/2006 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home