Half a Cup of Blues

Saturday, April 01, 2006

For K ...

Love Sonnet XI

I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

I hunger for your sleek laugh,
your hands the color of a savage harvest,
hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,
I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.

I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body,
the sovereign nose of your arrogant face,
I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes,

and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,
hunting for you, for your hot heart,
like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.

by Pablo Neruda


4 Comments:

  • mmmmmm... chills ran slowly down my spine as I finished reading that. in fact, they stepped down like fingertips. thanks, chick.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2006 5:14 PM  

  • I remember reading Neruda in college. Our Spanish professor was an older gentleman, very proper. He was trying to explain to us what the poems said and then what they actually meant. It was funny when the light would go off and we would finally get exactly what part of his beloved's body Neruda was referring to!

    Poema 20 is one of my all-time favorite poems. It is one of those poems that is even more magical when read aloud. If you don't speak spanish, have someone who does read it to you.

    By Blogger edieraye, at 4/01/2006 9:02 PM  

  • Yibbl is one very lucky guy to have such a wonderful person as yourself. You rule !!! and I love you too.

    Anica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/04/2006 5:01 PM  

  • Just beautiful!

    By Blogger An Urban Femme, at 4/06/2006 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home